Obesity In Women
Obesity can be the cause of dangerous diseases such as diabetes mellitus, hypertension, depression, mood swings, osteoarthritis, high blood pressure, coronary heart diseases, reduced pulmonary functions, breathing problems, such as sleep apnea, some types of cancers, all contributing to lowering life expectancy. There have been numerous studies and researches which testify to the severe adverse effects of obesity in women health. The consequences of obesity are proven without dispute and are really overwhelming. The effects of abdominal obesity, especially are far-reaching. Abdominal obesity can cause many diseases among women, such as Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome.
Check Out More:-
Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome or PCOS
PCOS is considered to be one of the widest spread hormonal abnormality observed among the women of reproductive age. The alarming symptoms of PCOS are as follow:
- Increased androgen production
- Lesser gonadotropin secretion which leads to the irregular menstruation cycle
- Hirsutism or excessive hair growth
- Even infertility
METABOLIC CHARACTERISTICS OF PCOS
- Besides causing hormonal imbalances among women of reproductive age, PCOS also has some threatening metabolic characteristics. Those are as follow:
- Major malfunctions in insulin action and proper function of β-cell
- Development of conditions which increases the probability of glucose intolerance and type 2 diabetes manifold.
- 1, 2 Obesity is alarmingly widespread among women who have been diagnosed with PCOS
- 40–80% of obese people, especially women who have been diagnosed to have this medical condition have been reported to be overweight or obese.
- A genetic tendency to this metabolic disorder has been logically established by familial aggregation of PCOS
OBESITY AS A THREAT TO SUCCESSFUL PREGNANCY
- Even if a woman conceives in spite of obesity and related diseases, the pregnancy can face many threats, such as risk of infection such as postpartum infection and urinary tract infection, increased labour problem, hazards of an emergency C-section in pregnancy, post-delivery infections, such as wound infection, increased risk factors of gestational diabetes, likelihood of PREECLAMPSIA.
- Even the baby born of an obese mother may have birth defects and other serious medical conditions.
- The babies, in turn, may be obese people in future and can have heart disease.
INCREASED RISK OF DIABETES AND RELATED DISEASES CAUSED BY OBESITY IN WOMEN
- Obesity increases the possibility of diabetes in women. Diabetes opens a flood gate of many more life-threatening diseases.
- Diabetic women stand at a higher risk of having cardiovascular diseases (CVD).
- The risk of having postmenopausal breast cancer, as well as endometrial cancer increases, manifold in diabetic and obese women.
- With the increasing weight and diabetes increases the chances of mortality rates both in men and women.
As have been discussed, the threats of obesity to women’s health are really manifold and put a major challenge to a happy and healthy life. Besides all these physical hazards obesity raises major image issues among women which lead to a low level of confidence, social stigma, and even social rejection. These factors have cumulatively caused suicides even. So we must follow a healthy lifestyle, should exercise regularly, and have major changes in our diet and opt for a healthy diet to keep obesity in women at bay. Prevention is better than cure always.